With over 40 years in the golf course and landscape management industry, J. Mark Black brings a wealth of knowledge and hands-on expertise to his role as a golf course, HOA and homeowner landscape consultant.
Former director of golf courses and grounds for Quail West Golf and Country Club in Naples, Florida, Mark was responsible for managing two 18-hole golf courses, all clubhouse and HOA grounds maintenance with a staff of 65 employees.
In his role as director of golf courses and grounds at Bonita Bay Club in Bonita Springs, Mark was responsible for management of the construction, grow-in and maintenance of five 18-hole golf courses and two clubhouse grounds and a staff in excess of 125 employees.
Mark is recognized by industry peers for his ability to locate and organize highly motivated, trained and self directed teams to provide consistent playing conditions and superior landscape maintenance. While at Quail West Mark was responsible for the installation and maintenance of 90,000 flowers per year.
Expertise and Strengths:
- Evaluate Grounds Conditions and Maintenance Practices
- Evaluate and Provide Expert Advisory Services related to Greens, Tees, Fairways and Bunkers
- Agronomic Programs and Procedures | Turfgrass/Plant Selection
- Maintenance Facility Design
- Budgeting and Forecasting
- Placement Services
- Construction and Grow In
- Lake City Community College, Associate of Science in Golf Course Operations
- Lake City Community College, Associate of Arts Degree
- GCSAA Certified Golf Course Superintendent (CGCS) 25 YEARS
- BMP Certifications for Collier and Lee Counties
- Ongoing continuing education (CEU’s) as required by GCSAA and Florida Department of Agriculture to maintain Certification and Pesticide Licenses
- Planted first Ultra-Dwarf greens in Florida (Champion Bermudagrass)
- Prepared and hosted both Amateur and Professional golf events including:
Florida State Amateur (2)
Florida State Junior Amateur (1)
PGA Section Championship (2)
US Open Qualifier (2)
PGA Champions Tour ACE Classic (2)
- First multi-course club in Florida and seventh in nation to complete all requirements for Audubon for Golf Courses Certification.
- Oversaw two courses constructed to Audubon Signature Specifications.
- USGA Green Section Committeeman 1985 – 2016
- Florida Golf Course Superintendent Association, Everglades Chapter
Vice President 2004
- Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA)
- Complete construction and grow-in of five golf courses
- Reconstruction of 4 complete sets of greens to USGA Specifications
- Reconstruction of irrigation systems, pump stations and pump houses
- Reconstruction of tees, fairways, bunkers, drainage systems, bulkheads, retention walls, etc.
- Design and construction of three maintenance facilities